Friday, January 28, 2011

The Library

Creating memories can be as simple as a walk on the pier at sunset, to a trip to Ireland in the Summer.  Memories are like everything else in life; there is no limit on the amount you can spend, but the price tag doesn't make it more or less memorable.

My time with my children though profoundly long one day, can be profoundly short when you look back at it.  My son is about to turn four, and I can remember like yesterday his birth; it is scary to think how soon he will be going to college.  Yet the harder I try to think of things to do with my children in order to create another family moment the harder it is.  It is sort of like falling in love, if you are looking for it, the harder it hides.  

Even with events like Disneyland or a Dodger game, the downside to going there a lot minimizes the impact and it becomes just like everything else...normal.  That is to say it is not like normal is wrong, or even bad, but having keepsake moments with your children and wife shouldn't always feel pedestrian.  I find I can got caught in the trap though of trying to hard, swinging for the fences and looking past ideas I may have, because they are mundane.  

As a young child, maybe eight years old, I had one of my fondest childhood memories of family.  It wasn't Disneyland, or the circus, or even a Laker game, though all those memories are great, it was playing cards.  I "shot the moon" for the first time in a game of Hearts with my family, my dad gave me twenty dollars (a family tradition for the first time you shoot the moon), and the very next hand I said I was doing it again, and he bet me another twenty dollars I couldn't.  Bam! I shot it again.  Now obviously forty dollars to a young child is an extra-ordinary moment in life, but it all started with a simple game of cards, and until I busted my dad, a free game of cards.  We played cards a lot as a family, but this unique moment in my life stands out for good reason, and my parents never set out that Saturday afternoon to do anything particularly profound, just spend some time together.

I awoke from a long day at work the night before, I work nights, around 1:30 in the afternoon, my boys were playing and my daughter was sleeping.  I showered and ate and took my boys to the library.  We had some books that were due soon, and I figured they could use a change anyways.  We spent an hour there just grabbing any book that spoke to their fancy, it was like toy shopping without having to pay.  We got home and read books outside on a blanket just a quiet afternoon as a family.

My wife and I are hitting a new renaissance with all our children, reading is becoming such a wonderful bonding experience.  The last few nights I haven't had to work I have sat in my son's bed and my wife in our younger son's bed, and I read a chapter book out loud.  Sean isn't as interested yet, but he's very young, he sings and cuddles and talks with my wife as I read another chapter.  Drew even fell asleep as I was reading; this was a truly special fatherhood memory for me. 

Three weeks ago when initially went to the library I never thought the simple task of checking out books to read could possible bless me with such a special time with my boys.  Tonight I learned a lot about being a dad; the simple moments can have some of the greatest rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment