Monday, May 31, 2010

Life over a cup of lemonade




So I decided that the most americana thing I could do today, besides eat too much, was to make lemonade; sorry but apples aren't in season for some tasty pie.

I went into the front yard, used my "fruit picker," and went to town on the tree, in all I think I picked about 25 or so lemons.

Having never made lemonade before, and being how I don't "wing" anything cooking related I went to my trusty cookbook which has literally never led me stray.   I proceeded to quadruple the recipe, in effect making 30 cups of lemonade, or 240 ounces, just short of 4 gallons of Lemonade.

Drew was napping, and when he woke up, wanted nothing more than to help me in the kitchen and it really ended up making the whole event a blast.  Hand "juicing" 50 lemon halves is more than a bit of a chore, but the end result was totally worth it.

When all was said and done, we grilled up some Kielbasa and mushroom swiss burgers.  All the while sitting out front and watching the kids run around.

Today was fun, just a sorta lazy afternoon around the grill, my kids were maniacs, but the few moments of clarity when all was calm was awesome.

Too often I hear people say they can't wait till  (fill in the blank) and I catch myself sometimes saying that with raising young kids, and wishing they were older so I can do X..Y...or Z.  But today and when I  focus on being in the moment with my kids, I really loved it.

I know when these days are gone, and making lemonade with dad is lame, I'm gonna miss that the greatest thing ever was getting the "squeezer" to juice the lemons with me.



A brief photographic view of this entry.



Drew's interpretation of "He lives in me (Reprise)" from "The Lion King Musical" our evening entertainment.

2 comments:

  1. Glad I got to see how much fun I missed today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean...just live in the moment and remember the memory when they are just that...a memory! - Roman

    ReplyDelete