Sunday, June 6, 2010

A California Poppy



While sitting outside in beautiful Moorpark, not a cloud in the sky and a slight breeze from the east I watched a good friend get married.  At this stage in my life, every summer usually amounts to more than a few weddings I get to attend.

Weddings to me are an incredible event.  Having no experience as a sociologist I won't pretend to know much about them, save for what I have experienced.

To date I have been to weddings in a hall, outside, in a garden, at a hotel, a golf course, a horse track, and of course in a church.  Which got me thinking about other life events that are so huge and universal, and yet totally unique to the individual.  You have 17 year olds getting married, and 80 year old folks.  With kids, without kids, pregnant, maybe even dying.  There are people who want nothing more in the world then the "right" to get married, and people who think other people shouldn't get married.  Regardless of politics and religion, this is astounding.

The fact remains that practically without exception this is a universal tradition.  So, as my friend walked down the aisle I was  immediately transported to my wedding, and as much as I wish that day would never fade from the crystal clear memory I had of the moment, 3 children have a funny way of completely ransacking your ability to remember much of anything.  A brief list of best for me that day.


My wife and I loved our wedding

Best Advice - Just before you see your wife to be with her dad, take a deep breath, look all over the church and really take in the moment, the smells, the music, the faces in the crowd, really absorb it.

Best Connection with Guests - My wife and I were the eucharistic ministers for the mass, and as the majority of guests came for communion, I got to share a sacramental connection with each of them.

Best Kiss - The second one, after the priest said "you may now kiss the bride" and we kissed, we paused and my wife asked for another kiss, I love that memory.

One more


As I sat outside at the reception and I watched the throngs of children playing, it reminded me of my wedding and all the kids playing at our wedding.  I know there is much debate about yes or no on children at a wedding, who is invited and who isn't, but for my wife and I, and obviously my friends this past weekend, kids were a must.  In the end, the spirit and life children bring to any event is remarkable, but what better way to epitomize celebrating a marriage of people, families and the start of a new family then with children running all over and enjoying life.

As my sons were dancing and running around, my baby was being passed from friend to friend and my wife and I visited with old friends.  Probably the mix of alcohol, music and care free time, makes this environment perfect for visiting.  We talked about where life has led us all, how we were all doing and what was new.  What a remarkable event this is, life seemed to me to be actually more about going from wedding to wedding to wedding, and less about other events.  You start with your parents wedding, to yours, and your children's wedding, and grandchildren, and perhaps even
great-grandchildren.  All along the way catching up with friends at each friends wedding and even their children's wedding.

It seems appropriate that the melding of two families is universally seen as a most important milestone in the life of anyone.  As wonderful as my wedding has been, it is hard for me to think that others see marriage, a wedding; and this moment, day, and life-long journey together as, "Not a big deal."  With the exception of my kids being born I can't think of any other moment of my life that is even close to the shear awe I felt at my wedding.

So I sat and had my featured drink of the wedding, a "California Poppy," and let the whole event flow over me.  I felt lucky to have been invited to such a special time in my friends life.

Life over a "California Poppy" (Rum, Orange Banana Juice, Club Soda, simple syrup and to garnish, a mint leaf with a wedge of lime)

No comments:

Post a Comment