Thursday, November 24, 2011

Travel Log Day 10 - 11/24/11

Thanksgiving was originally planned as the centerpiece of this trip.  My vacation had coincide with Thanksgiving so it seemed a natural idea to plan a trip around the holiday.  In the end Thanksgiving is the one da, looking back, I wish would have been like more days of the trip, sleep-wise.

From the get go the day started early, the house filled up with people, and between people (14), dogs (6), or cats (2)  the house was full of life.  I had made some bread earlier and of course my favorite cole slaw (until you try it with Thanksgiving dinner it just seems odd to have, I agree)   And just like that Dinner was served.  What is odd about eating in Louisiana for Thanksgiving is football timing.  You can watch football all day long if you want on Thanksgiving.  Back home (Los Angeles) you could watch 2 games before dinner even started but here, it was still pregame at 11:00, games start by 8:30 at home.  

Dinner started about noon, and for the whirlwind of work by Mary Jo it was incredible to watch how fast dinner was eaten and we were washing dishes, no way it was more than an hour.  With the exception of my children most of that hour appeared to be spent by folks just plain eating.  By the time plates were cleared and Cristina and I sat on the couch to watch football we were asleep.  

My dad fortunately saw this as an opportunity to take the boys out for a little grandpa time at the park and we slept and slept and slept, (Eva blessed us with a wonderful nap.)  We likely would have kept sleeping except the fact that we were awoken by a loud crash.  I jumped up fearing my children had broken something, but was relieved to find a dog had pulled a pie to the ground.  This seemed the perfect time to have some pie and watch football.  So after cleaning the mess, Cristina and I continued on our rest and relaxation.  By the time Eva woke, and the boys were back, I had a good chunk of time with my wife on the couch doing nothing.

I was thankful for Thanksgiving, this was the middle of the trip for us and we were running on fumes, without an uneventful day we would have been in a bad way.  Fortunately my daughter slept and my dad took the kids out...This was exactly what we needed, an easy going day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment